A wolf is a meat eating animal roaming
the forests and mountains.
Wolves like to hunt in a pack, chasing
down and feeding upon wild animals and livestock.
|Next >>||<< Previous||Home Page|
Wolves are meat eaters (carnivorous) and feed on elk.
|Hunters and poachers are killing wolves off, hunters for the pelt and head trophy, the poacher for the money that can be made from selling the pelt.|
|Ranchers and farmers also kill the wolves because they are feeding on their life-stock (farm animals.)|
|The loss of the wolves has had a profound effect on the environment. Because they feed on elk there are now 10 more times elk today than 100 years ago.|
|Elk feed on vegetation and plantation (herbivorous), and the now large herds are stripping (eating) the vegetation; bushes, trees and grass from the land.|
|With the loss of trees, beavers cannot build their dams. And with the loss of beaver ponds, ducks and geese are unable to build their nests.|
|The loss of one animal in the food chain effects the survival of other species and the environment.|
|Wolves are ecologically important in conserving a wide-range of species and our natural habitat.|
Quiz: pertaining to the above article.
1. What do you call a meat eating animal?___________________________________
2. Why do hunters kill wolves?____________________________________________
3. Why do poachers kill wolves?___________________________________________
4. Why do farmers and ranchers kill wolves.________________________________
5. What do elk eat?_______________________
6. Animals that eat vegetation and plantation are called?__________________________
7. Why can the birds not survive?___________________________________________
8. Why can't a beaver build a dam?_______________________________________
9. What animal is most effected by the loss of insects?______________________________
10. Why are wolves ecologically important?__________________________________